Achilles International Nashville is a local chapter of an international non-profit organization—Achilles International—that pairs athletes with disabilities (e.g. visual impairments, physical disabilities) with athletes/ guides without disabilities so that all can participate in mainstream running activities and events. Achilles International was founded in 1983 by Dick Traum, the first amputee to run the New York City Marathon. Today, Achilles has chapters in communities throughout the world. Our local chapter of Achilles began in the spring of 2012, and has grown to be one of the largest Achilles organizations around the world. In Achilles, athletes with disabilities can walk, run, or roll (e.g., wheelchair, handcycle, walker) to participate in running activities or events in order to promote personal achievement, healthy living, and active lifestyles.
Volunteer Guides come from all walks of life. Some are avid runners, while others have their first running experience as part of Achilles. Some have careers where they work with people with disabilities every day, while others are spending significant time with a person with a disability for the first time at Achilles. Guides help support the athletes with disabilities in a number of ways, such as:
- Functioning as a sighted guide to provide navigational cues for the athlete.
- Helping with special equipment such as handcycles or cycle trainers.
- Participating in weekly workouts and scheduled races.
- Offering guidance and running advice,
- Assisting with race-day logistics, maneuvering through the s to the start line, navigating the course, and crossing the finish line.
Come Run, Walk or Roll with Achilles
- Wednesday: McCabe Community Center 6:30-8:00 PM, 101 46th Avenue North.
- Saturday: Locations vary, check Facebook for updates on weekly runs
Hope & Possibility® Achilles Chapters across the world have a signature race called the Hope and Possibility®. Our Nashville Chapter will host its 7th annual Hope and Possibility® (H&P) in the fall of 2020.This race has three distance options—1-mile, 5-mile, and Keep It Moving Challenge —and will be virtual this year.
Website – achillesnashville.org
Twitter – @AchillesNash and #achillesnashville
Instagram – #achillesnashville and @achillesnashville
Mailing Address: 234 Boxmere Place, Nashville, TN 37215